This was the last brew I did before venturing down the rabbit hole of chasing the authentic German lager character… Anyway, this was pretty standard for me, before I started drastically changing my brewing process.
Recipe – 21L
FG 1.008 – 84% aa
Bitterness 18.5 ibu
Color 3.6 srm
100% Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner
64C/147F 40m – Infusion
69C/156F 30m – Decoction
75C/167F 10m – Decoction
Single batch sparge
70 min boil
10.2 ibu Hallertauer Magnum 12.4 % @ 60
15g Hallertauer Mittelfrüh 4% @ 20
1/2 Whirlfloc @ 15
30g Hallertauer Mittelfrüh 4% @ 5
100mL harvested WLP833 pitched in a 2L same-wort starter. Wort chilled to 9C and pitched at 4 hours.
Day 5 – high krausen, raised to 12C
Day 7 – krausen falling, raised to 18C
Day 10 – crashed to 2C
The beer was kegged on day 14 and allowed to carbonate at serving pressure. I decided not to use gelatin for this batch, and allowed the beer to clear on its own.
6 weeks after brew day
Appearance Light yellow, very clear. Dense white head fades moderately to a persistent cap. Decent lacing.
Aroma Floral hops dominate, with fresh breadiness beneath. Moderate aroma overall.
Taste Bready sweetness, quickly followed by assertive floral hops. Balanced finish. Bitterness is a bit high, and obscures the maltiness.
Mouthfeel Light body, but slightly creamy. Medium-high carbonation. Slight drying late, probably due to bitterness.
Overall This beer is a good example of why I’m chasing the authentic German character. All the flavors are there, but something is lacking. The bitterness is definitely on the high end for the style, or the late hops are causing an increase in perception.
As I alluded to before, I’ve been changing up a lot of my process to try and nail the German character. We’ll see what is to come of it…